6 ways I proved Independence was My Thing ||#POBAL6

1.10.16

Independence In Teenager

Hey!! Happy new month guys, we made it to October! And can I say how quick the year is going by? In honour of today being our beloved country Nigeria's independence day I'll be siting a few tricks on how I proved to my parents

that I didn't need them so much- my mom especially. I had to start adulting really early (14) because for some annoying reason I hated when a parent would take a decision for me and expect me to be grateful for it irrespective of whether I wanted it or not. 

My first step into independence was when ny parents had left I and my immediate brother at home and at 9pm they hadn't come back! We were soo hungry that I entered the kitchen qnd cooked rice and stew. I had never made anything besides cooking indomie before then so imagine two confused kids asking each other "Are we supposed to put salt now?" "Anniedora should I turn the rice?" "Yes turn it." Till today I dont know how we pulled it off but we did and my mum commended me so much. She said I did well for my first try. Was too happy, what hunger can do to you no other can do! I was 12 going on 13, it was a month or two before my 13th birthday I cant remember!


Independence In Teenagers

My second leap into the independence pool was when I started to make beads and selling them for money! I did this mainly because I wanted to get myself a birthday gift for my 13th birthday. You see my fellow Lemon Drops one of the struggle of #GrowingUpNigerian is that you wont always get a birthday gift or even a bday party. Anyways after I sold my beads I had #5k which was like a million naira at the time. I mean guys, anyway that was my first leap into independence!

The third time was when I decided I would complete my three years of Senior school in Holy Child. Okay let me let you all in on this bad habit I have, when I feel comfortable in a place, I tend to panic and run. Which is what I did for three years in junior school. I went to three different schools in my junior years. My mom knew I was beginning to get that feeling and tried to change my school after SS1 but I told her I would be fine.

My fourth leap was going out with some friends after our extension classes. Remember when I would come home late after lying that there had been traffic and my mom would give me that 'Its not me your doing but yourself' stare but she started to realise that I was getting older and I would be off to Uni soon

My fifth step to independence was getting a job at a bakery as one of the customer care personnel, big role to play considering I was 17. This job was so fun, it definitely helped me come out of my shell because we had to sweet talk our way into making people buy cakes. I got so good at selling dessert cakes, they were the yummy ones!

My sixth was getting another job at a radio station and having the opportunity to meet so many celebrities and even ask them questions!! 

So yeah!! For now these are the few things I've done to prove to not only my parents but to myself that I can take responsibility for myself!! I'm still growing and learning a lot and although I love the security of having someone else be responsible for me, I have to at some point take charge of my self.

What were some of your defining independent moments? Please share below in the comment box!

Happy independence day Nigeria!!!


Let's keep in touch

You Might Also Like

1 Thoughts

  1. Wow
    Babe, they all sound so good!
    I can totally relate to the one of making stuffs and earning money for your hard work
    I loved the feeling I got when I used to write stories in high school and school mates would literally have fights as to who gets to borrow first, and I made like 100 naira from each person
    Hehe
    Nothing like working for your paper

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Don't go just yet! Share your thoughts with me, please?

more

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Tweets

Follow My Bloglovin'

Follow

Instagram